Friday, April 22, 2011

Mexican Shredded Beef

I was watching a Tyler Florence show 4 years ago and he featured this Mexican shredded beef recipe.  It makes the best mexican beef ever.  We mainly use it in tacos, but have also used the leftover beef in quesadillas and burritos.  I also love this beef because it freezes so well and if we're having a full day I'll just pull it out in the morning and we have a great dinner.

Today's Ingredients:
2 pounds beef shoulder
S&P
EVOO
2 garlic cloves, smashed or minced
1 large onion, sliced
1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon ancho chile pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon ground cumin
3 bay leaves















Season all sides of the beef with a fair amount of S&P.  In a large
dutch oven or other heavy pot with a lide, heat 2 tablespoons olive
oil over moderately high heat.  Brown the meat on all sides. 

To get a good crust you need to put it in the pot and don't touch the 
meat for about 2-3 min. per side.  This will result in a good crust. 
If you are moving the meat around you can't get a good crust - which
is also sealing the juices in.  

I slice my onions and then I also cut them in half so they are like half
moons.  Works better in my opinion.

After you have browned the beef on all sides, add the onions to the
pot on the side of the beef and stir back and forth so they are
coated in oil and cooking nicely.  Cook for a few minutes and then
add the garlic.  Keep moving the onions and garlic back and forth
so they don't get burned.

Add the crushed tomatoes, 1 can (28 oz.) of water and the spices. 
There were kids coming over for this meal so I cut the cayenne in half. 
It really isn't overpoweringly spicy once it gets mixed into the tomatoes
and meat at the end, but cut it down some if you are nervous about
lots of heat.

I also already had diced tomatoes in my pantry so I just pulled
out 2 cans and pureed them in my food processor.  Works like a
charm.

Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer with the lid on for 3
hours until the meat is fork tender.  Let meat cool in the liquid. 
Remove the bay leaves.

Take the meat out and shred and then add in some of the juices
and onions.

I didn't get a good shot of the meat in taco action because we had 2
families coming over for dinner and ate as soon as the meat was
shredded.



1 comment:

  1. I've been looking for a good shredded beef recipe! This looks really good :) Thanks Karin!

    ReplyDelete