Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Dessert: Peanut Butter Chip Chocolate Cookies

I realized yesterday that I didn't have very many desserts (or any?) on here yet and who doesn't LOVE desserts?  Jordan had made some Chocolate PB Cookies a few weeks ago, but they were pretty cakey tasting so I set out to find a different recipe.

I am the kind of person that likes my cookies to be soft and fluffy.  The key to this is not overcooking them (obviously), but we have found that if you HALF the amount of butter then they end up fluffier.  I did see it on a cooking show once, the more butter you have the more the cookies will spread.  If you like thin flat crisp cookies then just add the full amount of butter and cook the maximum of time and they'll be perfect.

You can also make these with white chocolate chips or any flavor of chocolate chips (milk, semi-sweet, etc.).

One last thing about cocoa powder - it does make a difference.  If you only have a regular brand from the store and you don't want to buy something else these will work just fine.  If you want spectacular chocolatey tasting cookies either buy Penzey's Dutch processed high fat cocoa or any other dutch processed cocoa.   Read here on how dutch cocoa is different than regular cocoa. 

Today's Ingredients:
1 cup unsalted butter or
  ½ cup butter + ½ cup applesauce
1 cup white sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups peanut butter, white or milk chocolate chips
  (1 package chocolate chips)



Preheat your oven to 350.

Grease your cookie sheets - personally I use silpat sheets
to cover my cookie sheets.  I've had them for about 12 years
and they are in the same perfect condition.  They are pricey
about $40 for 1 at Williams & Sonoma (I've seen them
at Bed, Bath & Beyond too), but well worth it
(have you worn the same pants for 10 years?).  They
help your cookies turn out perfectly and are non-stick.

Cream together the butter and sugars until nice and fluffy.
Add the applesauce here if you are using.
(you can't even taste it)
 
Add eggs one at a time.

Until you have a nice smooth texture.


Mix together the cocoa, flour, baking powder,
baking soda and gradually add to butter/egg mixture.

Stir in the chips.  I used a medium scooper for all of
my cookies so they are nice and uniform.
 
Bake for 8-10 min.  I found 9 min. to be the
perfect time for my oven.


Yum-o!  This got high marks from everyone in the family.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you are doing this blog. I miss your cooking!! ;) And we miss you!!!!

    ReplyDelete