Friday, February 4, 2011

Turkey & Tomato Stoup

I had the rest of this HUGE can of tomato juice in my fridge needing to be used and went on the search for a soup recipe to use it. I came across a couple of recipes and combined them and added my own twist to make it work. It came out really good! I know there are similar recipes out there, but here's my version.


Turkey & Tomato Stoup
(stoup is thinner than stew, but thicker than soup - Rachael Ray made the word up)


The Ingredients:
1 lb. ground turkey*
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 -1 head cauliflower
32 oz. tomato juice
2 cups water
1 small or medium onion, chopped
3 stalks celery finely sliced
2 carrots peeled and diced
1 ½ teaspoons oregano
1 tsp beef soup base or 1 cube beef bouillon
½ cup macaroni

*You could also use sausage, ground chicken, or ground beef instead


If you don't have cauliflower feel free to leave this out. Bring to a boil 4-6 cups of water. Add your cauliflower and lower to a simmer. Simmer for 5-10 min. until soft.


Drain, reserving 1-2 tablespoons and add to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. I liked adding the cauliflower to the soup to boost up the vege level without affecting the taste and it thickened the soup as well. Another big plus is that I used up more leftovers from my fridge.



Cook your turkey until almost cooked through. Add your garlic and finish cooking.

Add your tomato juice, tomato sauce (if using), water, and beef bouillion to a pot and bring to a boil.


Add your cauliflower puree, onions, celery, carrots and oregano and bring back to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 10 min.


Add your ground turkey and simmer for another 20 min. Season with S&P.

About 5 min. before you are ready to serve then add your macaroni.


This turned out really great and used up a LOT of leftovers from my fridge.

Leftovers Used:
1/2 cauliflower head
1/2 can tomato sauce
1/2 small onion (I used a total of 1.5 small onions)

Optional Ingredients:
This soup is pretty versatile and I think you could add a lot of things and it would still work.

Meat-You could use ground beef, sausage or even some shredded chicken in place of the ground turkey. If it is shredded chicken just add at the same time as the vege's.
Tomato Sauce - Add the tomato sauce at the same time as the juice
Potatoes - Add red potatoes into the tomato juice along with the onion, celery and carrots.
Mushrooms - Add the mushrooms into the pot at the same time as the macaroni.
Broccolini or spinach - boil until just done and then add to the pot at the end with the macaroni.
Beans-You could add your beans (white or black would be good) along with your vege's or at the end with the macaroni.

Experiment and Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Kari told me you had a cooking blog so I thought I had better come over and check it out. everything looks really good. YOu have a new follower!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete