Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Minced Chicken Curry

We started cooking this recipe because it was on the opposite side of our Tikka Masala recipe. This recipe comes from Pakistan and it is so good. If you are a little trepid about curry this is the perfect one to start with. Very mild and both of my kids ate this up. I usually use ground turkey instead of chicken.


Such deliciousness!


Today's Ingredients:
3 tablespoons olive oil or corn oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 lb ground chicken or turkey
¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
5 tablespoons plain yogurt
2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
¾ - 1 teaspoon salt
8 oz red or waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into ¾-inch dice


Prep your potatoes, onion, garlic and tomatoes. I do have to admit something here. My tomatoes are canned. I was peeling and chopping my "real" tomatoes and they felt a little slimy (they had been in the fridge for a bit) so I tasted one and it was so disgusting. They tricked me still looking all nice and good in the fridge.

I pulled out a can of chopped tomatoes, drained them and chopped them up further. I would recommend using the real ones, but canned ones work in a pinch!

Add your oil to a heavy pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and fry until the onion is brown at the edges.

Add the garlic and cook for another minute.


Add the chicken or turkey, turmeric and cayenne pepper. I added an 1/8 instead of a 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper and it wasn't too hot for the kiddos a 1/4 would have been pushing it.

Add the yoghurt and stir and cook until the yoghurt is combined.

Add the tomatoes, salt and potatoes. Stir and cook for 1 minute. Cover and reduce the heat to low, and cook gently for 15 min. or until potatoes are tender.


Serve over rice. Naan is also great with this too.

Minced Chicken Curry Printable Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment