Friday, February 25, 2011

Skirt Steak Sandwiches on Bacon Waffle Bread

This is another Rachael Ray recipe that I tried. I think next time I make it I'm going to make some tweaks, but overall it was good!


Who doesn't love bacon? Matthew could eat a whole package by himself just like his mom. He really is my kid through and through.


Today's Ingredients:
6 tablespoons Mayo
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons dijon mustard
1 1/2 pounds skirt steak, cut into 6 pieces
EVOO for brushing on the steak
6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
3 cups pancake batter
Lettuce
Tomatoes

Pancake recipe if you don't have a good one:
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
2 tablespoons oil
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt

Mix together wet ingredients. Sift together dry ingredients. Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients.

This made probably about 4.5 cups of batter. I used 3 cups and put the rest in the fridge and made pancakes easy peasy for the kids the next morning. I was a little skeptical that it would work because it wasn't fresh batter, but it worked great and the kids loved it!


I would get your grill pan or grill heating up. S&P your steak and rub just a little with olive oil. Cook about 8 min. total for medium rare - turning once.


Get your bacon cooking. Once it's done crumble.


Juice your lemon. Quick tip - microwave your lemon for 30 seconds if it's coming right out of the fridge and then roll it a few times before juicing. This will help release more juice. I learned this tip from some show and I tell you it works like a charm!


Combine your mayo, lemon juice and 1 1/2 tablespoons mustard together for a spread. Set it in the fridge to use later.


Mix together your wet ingredients for your pancake batter.


Sift together your dry ingredients and then add to the wet ingredients. Take 3 cups of batter out.


Add your crumbled bacon to your pancake batter and 1 1/2 tablespoons of dijon mustard.


Mix together nicely and cook in your waffle maker.


Spread both sides with the mayo and then layer the meat, lettuce, and tomatoes.

To be honest, I didn't really taste the bacon in the waffles, but Matthew ate it up since we told him bacon was in the waffles. I thought the spread was ok, but I really don't love, love, love dijon mustard. Here are some alternatives I'm going to try for next time.

-Find a marinade for the meat
-Make a bacon mayo or buy baconnaise - here
-Leave bacon out of waffle batter
-Add bacon strips to sandwich
-Add sliced avocado to the sandwich

You could always treat it like a traditional BLT, but replace bread with waffles to mix it up. It was fun to make and it did taste good, but I'm going to try some changes next time to elevate it to the next level.

Skirt Steak Sandwiches on Bacon Waffle Bread Printable Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment