Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Salmon & Spinach Parchment Packets

I've been on the hunt for new low-cal recipes as I'm into week 7 of working out hard and really watching what I eat.  My sister-in-law had this great Everyday Food (by Martha Stewart) magazine when we were at their house that I had to buy it when I got home. I was trying to find a new way to eat fish/Salmon and found this recipe.  This is such an easy, good and healthy recipe.  I'll list out what the recipe is and all the different ways you can alter it at the bottom.

Ingredients:
8 ounces baby spinach
1 tablespoon grated orange zest, plus 3 oranges, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch thick rounds
4 skinless salmon fillets (1 1/2 pounds total)
2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into thin strips (1/4 cup)
1 shallot, thinly sliced
S&P
EVOO

Take 4 pieces of parchment paper.  Divide the spinach and add the orange zest on top and then the orange slices.  I only used 2 oranges myself for 4 packets as I knew my kids wouldn't eat them.

Add the salmon on top of the oranges and salt and pepper liberally.  Add the ginger and shallots on top of the salmon and drizzle with the EVOO.

My husband went Salmon fishing last summer and this Salmon was from that trip.  I had to take the skin off the bottom and I did not have a proper fish knife.  It was tough work, but you definitely don't want fish skin on the bottom mingling with your spinach so skin it if it's not already skinned.

Fold down the parchment paper lengthwise and then tuck under creating little packets.  I labeled each of my packets because my kids got less spinach and seasonings due to their pickiness.

Cook for 15 min.  I really think it would be done in 10-12 as mine was a touch dry.

Ways to alter this recipe:
-I had leeks to use so I swapped those in place of the shallots.  You could also sub in green onions or leave out onions all together.  Chives or dill would be good here too in addition or instead of the onions.
-Use lemon in place of the orange zest and slices. I wouldn't do lime slices, but lime zest would be yummy too.
-I keep ginger in my freezer so I just grated that on top of my salmon instead of cutting into nice sticks.
-When drizzling with EVOO add some fresh lemon or orange juice on top too.
-If you don't like Salmon then swap with halibut or tilapia which are super mild fish.  Depending on the thickness you may need even less time in the oven-especially the tilapia.






1 comment:

  1. Wow, that looks delicious! We have some frozen salmon fillets in the freezer. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with them. Now I know! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete