Monday, April 30, 2012

Meatless Mondays: Grilled Vege Hummus Pitas

It's been awhile since I've done a Meatless Monday.  I made this last week and really loved it!  I got it out of my Cooking Light magazine.  It's super easy, quick and super healthy.  If you haven't tried hummus or are a bit scared of it then you can always leave it out. I've listed substitutions at the bottom. 

Ingredients:
1 red onion, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 red bell pepper, sedded and quartered
1 12 oz. eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch-thick slices
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
Hummus
Flatbread or pitas
Feta or goat cheese 



Brush each side of all the veges with olive oil and grill on each side for 3 minutes.  I did mine on a grill pan on the stove.  You can grill on a regular grill or even broil it if you don't have either of those options.

Chop all of the vege's into bite-sized chunks.

Combine the chopped vege's, 1 tablespoon EVOO, parsley and salt.

Spread hummus in pita and stuff with vege mixture and sprinkle some feta cheese in as well.

With the leftovers I spread 1 T hummus over a multi-grain cracker and added some vege's.  Delish snack that wasn't very high in calories.

I have only really started cooking with eggplant in the past year and this is a great way to use this veggie.  We've found that most vege's that my hubby or me didn't really like as children are really delicious grilled or roasted.  Grilling just adds a depth of flavor that you can't beat!

There are so many variations you can make, here are some substitutions if you are apprehensive about any of the ingredients:
-Mozzarella cheese for the feta or goat cheese
-Zucchini or summer squash for the eggplant
-Instead of hummus a vege or herb cream cheese spread

Happy Cooking!
-

No comments:

Post a Comment