Saturday, September 3, 2011

Avocado Salsa

I can't believe how the summer flew by!  We have had a super busy summer (my first not working outside the home full-time) and I haven't made the time to post.  School starts this next week for us Oregonians and with my son starting Kindergarten at 7:45 am (I know crazy!) we'll be on a better schedule and I'll be making more time to post.  I wanted to make sure everyone had this salsa for their BBQ's going on this weekend, so make it in if you can!  It's so good.


Some people call this cowboy caviar but my sister calls it avocado salsa and that's where I got the recipe.  If you've never had it before and you love corn, black beans and avocados then THIS is for you!  Oh my it is DELICIOUS!  I think it's the best one I've ever had.  It has the perfect balance of ingredients and seasonings.  So good!  It's a hit everywhere I take it and it is the perfect salsa for a BBQ.  I only made HALF of this recipe and it was still a HUGE amount of salsa.  I made it for 4 adults, 2 teenagers and 3 kids and we didn't even make a dent.  Make the full batch for a large crowd and half of it for a smaller gathering.


Ingredients:
5-6 avocados (diced)
4-5 Roma tomatoes (only use roma) (diced)
2 pkgs frozen corn (16oz bags)
2 cans black beans (rinsed and drained)
1 bunch of cilantro (cut up finely)
1 bunch of green onions (chopped)
1/2-3/4 bottle Kraft zesty Italian dressing (light works great too!)
2 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp seasoning salt

First you are going to dump the corn into a bowl.

Add your nicely diced tomatoes.  You don't want them too
large because you want them to fit on a chip.  Why Roma? 
They are firmer and have less seeds.  Perfect for this salsa. 
IF you have to use regular tomatoes, then make sure you
deseed them really well or your salsa is going to end up
super soupy.

Add your diced avocados.  I probably should have diced
them smaller, but I LOVE avocados so I didn't!  And they
ARE the star of the show so do whatever you like.

Add your black beans.  I was making this on a Sunday
morning and thought we had black beans on hand which
we didn't (SMALL SCREAM INSIDE!).  Luckily I thought
of using my pressure cooker and cooked myself some up
in 45 min.  If you use ones you've cooked yourself then
add 1 1/2 cups (drained).  They worked perfectly!

BTW-love the pressure cooker!  I'm using it for some pinto
beans this weekend for Sunday dinner - yum-o!  Pinto beans
in 45 min. 

Also, it's way cheaper to cook up a bunch of beans in a
pressure cooker or the crock pot, use what you need and
then I freeze 1 1/2 cups in individual baggies that you can
pull out of the freezer and use in your recipe and they work
just as well as canned ones, but saves you money.

Next add your cilantro, green onions, garlic salt, garlic
powder and seasoning salt.  Mix together very gently.

Next add your Italian dressing.  I would start with 1/2 bottle
for a full batch and 1/3 bottle for a half batch and mix
together before using more.  You don't want the dressing
to overpower everything else.

Use the light dressing, you can't even tell the difference
AND you are cutting out a LOT of calories.

Mix everything together and let it sit in the fridge for a few
hours. The Italian dressing helps keep the avocados
looking good and we even ate some leftovers the next
day, but by the third day it was salvageable, but on it's
last legs.

Add some chips and DIG IN!!!!  Yum...

1 comment:

  1. I love this recipe, thx Karin! I think the one I have only dresses it with the dressing, no garlic, etc. Going to try it your way this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete